Today's Blog Post: Boring Day, But Learned About Knockout

Warning: geek alert...

Not much inspiring to write about today, but I did finally start down the road of learning about the Knockout Javascript library (and MVC4 web applications).

We'll be using these libraries/technologies/whatever they are in the "re-engineered" version of the application I help to develop for the State Department, so it's high time I learned what they're all about and how to use them.

My adventures started at http://knockoutjs.com/, the official home of the Knockout library. I learn best by doing, so I took a few minutes to peruse the home page in a token effort to learn what the library is all about.

Grew bored with that rather quickly. Moved to the Interactive Tutorials http://learn.knockoutjs.com/ and was in geek heaven. They have a terrific set of tutorials and the pages are set up so that you can enter code and see it in action right there.

Then I moved on to how to do this in Visual Studio. I started blind, just created a new MVC4 project and tried to make it work. Nope. Some things were definitely missing. Needed help. Found this tutorial on creating MVC4 apps and started working through it: Intro to ASP.NET MVC 4. This was more like it (in other words, I actually had a running web site).

From there, I moved on to a February, 2012 (am I that far behind?) MSDN article, Getting Started with Knockout by John Papa. Great article with some good samples. But I've so forgotten my HTML and Javascript that I had to download his sample code in order to figure out that I needed to wrap the code in tags such as

<script type="text/javascript">

Oh boy, it's going to be quite an adventure getting from C# Windows Forms talking to web services to ASP.NET MVC with Razor and Knockout...

No comments:

Post a Comment