Cloud Atlas...Thoughts having almost finished the book

I'm almost finished with the book and haven't seen the movie yet. Honestly, if I hadn't seen the trailer for the movie trailer and read the movie's blurb, I'd have no idea I was reading about the same people in different times. 

The writing itself is superb, and the individual stories draw you in and keep you incredibly engaged. There were times, particularly in the first half of the book, when I couldn't put it down.

But the connections between the timelines seem to be so vague as to be merely coincidences. Sure, the same tattoo makes an appearance throughout, and the occasionally run into artifacts from their past lives. Unless I'm completely missing something, that's about it.

For a book so well-written, so descriptive and engaging, it's a shame I find myself feeling the same way I felt at the end of LOST:just what am I missing?


No comments:

Post a Comment