Eliminate Negative/Self-Destructive Thoughts

Short post today. I wanted to share this article that I read the other day:

A Simple 5-Step Process to Separate Your Actions from Negative Thoughts

One of the steps seemed utterly absurd to me:
Simply walk around wherever you are, and say, “I can’t walk”. Say it to yourself and then say it out loud while walking. Although this may seem silly, you are actually training your mind to distinguish between thoughts that are helpful and those that are not.
Seriously? How would that ever help me?

Well, on Monday I started using this at the gym. As I walked I'd say "I can't walk". As I did parts of the step routine I'd say "I can't take another step" as I did, indeed, take another step.

Turns out, this idea isn't all that far-fetched. As the author describes, my internal state (so to speak) started to realize that the negativity was ridiculous. And the more I condition myself to that fact (that it's ridiculous to have negative feelings about myself), the better off I'll be.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment