The Power of the Story

I hear it all the time in the entrepreneurial circles I run in: the most successful are those who can relate to others through storytelling.

Sometimes I think that the gift of storytelling is a natural talent, and if I don't have it then, well, I don't have it. But this is just a Brick Wall I've constructed for myself, isn't it? And I'm learning to bust through those reading Just Blow It Up. But even when I've busted through the wall, there's still skill development to be done.

This article showed up in my Zite app today, and it's got fantastic advice for enhancing your storytelling. The emphasis is on writing, but the same concepts apply to spoken stories as well. You know, like your elevator pitch, your business presentation, or anything else you need to use the spoken word in order to "sell" yourself.

My most important takeaway? Item #3: Cut. I often find myself saying "to make a long story short" or "sorry that was so verbose". Well, guess what Craig: by that point the story is gone anyway. I need to make the long story shorter to begin with, not apologize for the long story! So my focus over the next week will be performing the cut. Fewer, more impactful words!

Hope this help!

No comments:

Post a Comment